Tuesday, November 5, 2013

For the Love of Reading

 
I have ALWAYS loved to read.  Reading is a huge part of my life and one of my favorite things to do is sit down with a good book!  I have always had a soft spot for children's books and love writing... frankly, I'm not sure why I haven't started writing them myself!?  When I was a kid, the highlight of my school days were the Scholastic book fairs.  No, I'm not kidding!  When we were handed Scholastic packets to take home to our parents, I would get SO excited I could hardly stand it!  My mom says every time she saw those she knew she was about to have to spend a small fortune on books.  Haha!  So, you can imagine how happy I was when Jade brought home her first Scholastic order form last week.  ECSTATIC!  We went online and picked out 7 books together.  7 books for $18 I might add... GREAT deal!  She didn't understand why we couldn't read them RIGHT NOW.  I can't wait for them to arrive, so we can have a read-a-thon!
 
 
In light of all this book ordering fun, I started thinking it would be nice to have book recommendations from other parents.  When we take a trip to the library or go book shopping, it can take HOURS to find a good one.  There is a sea of options and a lot of the time you find yourself thumbing through many, many mediocre books before you find the one you'd like to take home.  SOLUTION!  I am going to start a weekly series of children's book recommendations!  Not just for all of you other parents out there, but for me too!  PLEASE let me know if there any books you and your children absolutely love, so we can expand our book collection as well!  We are always on the hunt for new books.
 
 
I am going to kick start this series with dun, dun, dun....
 
Little Blue Truck
by Alice Schertle
 


This is a preschool level book and is one of my favorites for the girls' story time!  It is a fun, flowing, rhyme-y book that teaches the importance of kindness and helping others even if they have not been very nice you.  The illustrations are great!
 


The pages are packed with colorful pictures full of farm animals.  Jenna loves to point to each animal and make their sound.... oink, moo, wibbit!  Notice the worn edges on my copy.  This little book as gotten much use!  We love it and hope you love it too!
 
HAPPY READING!

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment