Thursday, March 8, 2012

Home Birth vs Hospital Birth

Jumping right into this blogging thing with a hot topic!!  I just finished reading an article about home birth nightmares.... and it just got me thinking... things can go wrong no matter how you choose to bring your child into this world.  (Although, most supporters of either side would like for you to believe otherwise.)  Lately more and more women are choosing to ditch the hospital to birth their children at home.  As with everything else relating to parenting/ pregnancy/ childbirth, it seems that home birth advocates and hospital advocates are constantly at each other's throats telling the other they are wrong and what is best.  I believe that every woman should be able to choose a birthing plan that suits her and her baby without being criticized for it.  No matter what you choose, EVERY little thing will not be perfect and there are pros and cons to both choices.


Everyone has heard the reasons you should have your children at home and avoid hospitals and doctors like the plague from the "crunchy" if you will..... but you don't hear much from the likes of me.  I am pro hospital.  I believe and trust in doctors and our health care system.  And, I HAVE been judged for it.


With my first child the decision to birth in a hospital was automatic.  I had never even given the idea of delivering at home a thought.  I was induced at 40 weeks.  Contrary to what most believe induction is like, my labor was quick and relatively painless, delivery was even faster, and we welcomed a healthy, alert, 9lb baby girl.  With the news of my second child, I briefly considered a different route.  I simply asked myself when it comes to the birth of your child, what is the most important detail?  The answer was a healthy baby.  Surprising?  Probably not.  That meant that if my child needed any medical attention, I wanted her to be surrounded by experts with the necessary equipment and means to help her IMMEDIATELY.  I did not want to be in a situation where something went wrong and found myself in a panic waiting for paramedics or rushing to the hospital and praying that we can get there in time to save her life.  These pre-delivery fears were confirmed to be very real in the article I just read... many stories ending in the unfortunate death of their newborn baby... all likely preventable had they been born into a hospital.  I realize that these circumstances are "rare", but there was a chance... and that small chance is all I needed to confirm my decision.  My second child decided to make her appearance 3 weeks early.  The labor was PAINFUL, and again in a "doctor friendly" environment.  I was exhausted, irritated, and screaming inside.  Between contractions, I was privately cussing out every person present inside my head.  Sure, I would have been more comfortable on my own couch or in my tub, but my child and I were in expert care and everything we needed for a safe and healthy arrival was within reach at the drop of a hat. If she needed assistance moments after her birth, it was there. That is what I found comfort in. 


So, there you have it!  Why I chose a hospital and an OB/GYN... in a nutshell.  To me, logically, there is a reason death during childbirth has declined in conjunction with the advancement of medical technology and experienced/educated medical personnel.  Babies are lost in hospitals too... but they have a much better chance should a problem arise.  I do NOT think home births are a bad idea or that mothers who choose to deliver at home are in any way negligent or ignorant.  I knew in my heart it just wasn't for me.  Mostly, because I am a paranoid control freak.  If you know me, you know I am not a risk taker... even more so when it comes to the lives of my children.


For all of you preggos out there, be sure that whatever you choose is right for YOU and YOUR BABY.  Do not listen to the one-sided, overly opinionated who believe it is their way or you're a terrible mother.  Do your research.  Make your own educated decisions.  There are phenomenal doctors, midwives, nurses, and doulas out there who truly have your best interest in mind.... find them!  I love my OB/GYN.  I will never ever never go to another until she is out of practice.  Experience is key.  Explore all of your options.  Regardless of the environment you choose, things can and will go wrong.  Be prepared.  Follow your motherly instincts...believe it or not, they are present from the very beginning :)

2 comments:

  1. I liked this post its big help and cheaper its nice blog and make new and helps a lot thanks for this was very wonderful.
    painless delivery

    ReplyDelete